newbie questions

by onstage-negation, Saturday, May 22, 2021, 11:07 (1041 days ago)

Hello,

currently I still use feedly for my RSS feeds, but I want to get away from it. In search of alternatives I came across selfoss. I have set up an instance for testing, I get along so far with it. However, I have a few questions:

I'm using version 2.18, which also seems to be the most recent - but that seems to be from 2018. Is selfoss still being actively developed, or am I counting on a dead project?

I currently use feedly from two laptops and a desktop PC (via Firefox), additionally from an Android smartphone (via feedly app). To make this work with selfoss as well, I would then install it in "real" use on a web hosting package. Is the built-in protection via username/password enough to prevent unauthorized access?

I thank you already for the answers!

newbie questions

by jtojnar, Saturday, May 22, 2021, 19:25 (1041 days ago) @ onstage-negation

Hello,

Hi.

I'm using version 2.18, which also seems to be the most recent - but that seems to be from 2018. Is selfoss still being actively developed, or am I counting on a dead project?

Yes, selfoss is still actively developed.

Recently, we have finished porting the user interface from crusty jQuery to React and there have been many other changes since 2.18.

You can check the development activity on GitHub and even use the development builds if you want the latest and greatest.

The main reason I have not released 2.19 yet is that it still needs some polishing (some of the libraries we use have spotty PHP 8 support) and testing.

But I have been using the development builds every day without a hitch so stability-wise, I would consider it ready.

I currently use feedly from two laptops and a desktop PC (via Firefox), additionally from an Android smartphone (via feedly app). To make this work with selfoss as well, I would then install it in "real" use on a web hosting package. Is the built-in protection via username/password enough to prevent unauthorized access?

Yes, username/password should be safe enough. Provided you use https to connect to selfoss.

newbie questions

by onstage-negation, Monday, May 24, 2021, 09:33 (1039 days ago) @ jtojnar

This all sounds very good. Thanks for the info!

RSS Feed of thread