slow website

by themba, Monday, February 11, 2019, 23:14 (4 days ago)

I've been running selfoss for a while now. It was rather sluggish and I always assumed because I was a bit lazy during setup and went with sqlite for storage. I recently migrated to mariadb but was surprised to find no noticeable speedup. In particular the ajax requests takes a long time to load the actual items: ?offset=0&itemsPerPage=50&search=&type=newest&tag=&source=&sourcesNav=false&extraIds%5B%5D=220893&ajax=true

I made some sql queries in the database and although I don't know the exact queries made by selfoss getting the news items that would normally be shown on a page with a similar query is nice and fast (I'm only using this myself for some 100 rss feeds so we're not talking about huge databases anyways).

I tried to dabble into the xdebug profiler but to be honest I'm not really experienced with reading the output of that. It seems however that the ajax request spends most of it's time doing a curl request.

Does selfoss attempt to quickly update my sources when I load the page?
That's not the behaviour I would expect. Is there a config option to change that?

Any further insight much appreciated,
Themba

slow website

by jtojnar, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 02:09 (4 days ago) @ themba

Hmm, I do not think `GET /` does any HTTP requests and it is pretty fast for me even with hundreds of feeds.

If you do not mind proprietary services, you can try the free variant of https://blackfire.io/docs/introduction, which I find much easier to use.

slow website

by themba, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:16 (4 days ago) @ jtojnar

Thanks for the tip. It'll take some time to try that because I'm currently running on an armv7 VPS. I'll have to migrate my database to my desktop and try the blackfire from there. (there is no armv7 binary for the blackfire agent unfortunately)

RSS Feed of thread
powered by my little forum