Windows OS - Selfoss Not Rendering Graphics on Webpage

by rjr, Monday, January 21, 2019, 13:49 (1920 days ago)

Hi all,

I need some help with an issue where selfoss does not correctly render graphics on the web page.

Windows installation instructions state the following:
https://github.com/SSilence/selfoss/wiki/Installation-on-Windows

"If you are having trouble rendering the graphics on the web page, then a workaround in Windows is to copy the files inside public folder (containing css, font etc) to the www directory/ web directory of your WAMP installation."

Q: What are "the files" being referred to in the statement above?
Q: What "public folder" is being referred to?

Note: I copied all files from selfoss \public\css \font and \etc folders to the web folders (htdocs folder in XAMPP) but still the selfoss displays only in text (no gui / graphics)

Any ideas what's happening and how to resolve?

Thanks.

Ron.

by jtojnar, Monday, January 21, 2019, 19:44 (1920 days ago) @ rjr

Q: What are "the files" being referred to in the statement above?

That would be all.css, all.js and the images directory. I would not recommend this approach, though. I would try to make mod_rewrite work.

Q: What "public folder" is being referred to?

It refers to the public directory extracted from selfoss.zip.

Note: I copied all files from selfoss \public\css \font and \etc folders to the web folders (htdocs folder in XAMPP) but still the selfoss displays only in text (no gui / graphics)

You should extract all files in selfoss.zip to htdocs directory and let mod_rewrite do its job.

Any ideas what's happening and how to resolve?

I am not familiar with XAMPP but looking at the tutorial this line strikes me as suspicious:

####4. Find and rename all the .htaccess files into htaccess (remove the dot)

I would skip this step and instead try to find out how to make htaccess and mod_rewrite work on XAMPP.

by rjr, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 08:55 (1920 days ago) @ jtojnar
edited by rjr, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 08:59

Thanks for your quick response and feedback!

Reviewing your feedback I think we're in agreement that there seemed to be some kind of "sourcing" or "pathing" issue. Which makes sense.

I pulled all the files from the Public folder and placed them within the XAMPP \htdocs (www) folder and was able to get much of the layout (including buttons) to appear but not everything; so, definitely a source file issue and on the right track.

I'm not familiar with "mod_rewrite" but after a quick web search, it seems this module attempts to source or "correct" source path issues (at least in part). Not sure why this was not working, however, feedback from you coupled with partial success of copying \public files to the web folder (xampp\htdocs) was enough to investigate a source path issue.

In short, I created a new \htdocs (www) folder (removing any prior xampp sample files & folders) and then copied all files from selfoss (zip) file into the new \htdocs folders, updated the config.ini and SUCCESS!

BTW, The second time, I did Not remove the "dot" in the .htaccess files and (so far) all seems to be working correctly so now I'll play with the app and db a bit more and post a new question if I need more help.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

[image]

Regards,
Ron

by rjr, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 08:57 (1920 days ago) @ rjr

PS - I'm not sure how to close the thread. How do I mark the thread as closed / resolved?

Thanks.

by jtojnar, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 17:25 (1919 days ago) @ rjr

I do not think this forum supports marking threads like resolved.

RSS Feed of thread