Filter stuff out of an RSS feed

by Alrescha, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 21:20 (100 days ago)
edited by Alrescha, Saturday, April 07, 2018, 21:35

I know I can filter (select) RSS entries with /string/, and while I am not a php guru I understand that selfoss uses preg_match, so I might be able to filter out a string with /(?:(?!string).)/, but that seems like it would be a mess for a long list.

Is there a better way? I would really like to have a blacklist of strings I just don't want to see in my RSS feeds using the RSS spout.

Thank you,

A.

by jtojnar, Sunday, April 08, 2018, 19:22 (100 days ago) @ Alrescha

Unfortunately, there is no better way at the moment. Advanced filters are tracked in https://github.com/SSilence/selfoss/issues/858#issuecomment-329768432

by Alrescha, Sunday, April 08, 2018, 22:45 (99 days ago) @ jtojnar

OK, thank you.

I'm currently pulling my feed using a local client, and using its filters to do the work. I look forward to returning to the selfoss web client some day.

Best,

A.

by Alrescha, Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 00:56 (98 days ago) @ Alrescha

(replying to myself)

Just FYI,

My suggestion of /(?:(?!string).)/ does not appear to work but /^(?!.*string).*$/ seems to do the right thing. Thus emboldened, I am going to try /^(?!.*(string1|string2)).*$/ next.

by vazonov44 ⌂, Питер, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 11:29 (89 days ago) @ Alrescha

And what happened?

by Alrescha, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 16:20 (89 days ago) @ vazonov44

It works well enough; I have stopped using the local client and am back to the web interface again. I am currently using:

/^(?!.*(string1|string2|string3)).*$/

I think I've seen one or two occasions where things that should be filtered were not, I'm guessing that there's something specific about those entries (formatting, special characters, etc.) but I haven't seen enough of them to detect a pattern.

RSS Feed of thread